For over 36 years, BMC has provided women with a comfortable, respectful environment to access safe and legal abortion. At Blue Mountain Clinic, we trust in a woman’s decisions. With a staff of clinicians and counselors, we provide understanding and top-quality abortion care to women from primarily the Northwest region.
Considering Abortion? Call us for more information, and we will help guide you through the process: (406)721-1646
ABORTION CARE STAFF: Upholding the Right to Privacy for all Montanans
Licensed clinicians provide abortion care at Blue Mountain Clinic and your visit here is strictly confidential.
To protect the privacy and safety of our clinicians we do not reveal their names. They are licensed physicians who believe in providing abortion care. They are experienced, dedicated and capable. Assisting our clinicians are support staff who have been trained to counsel clients about their options and facilitate care. Send an e-mail question to a member of our staff: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spousal consent is not required to obtain an abortion in Montana, however women under the age of 16 are currently required to have a parent notified before the procedure or obtain a waiver from a judge. For help navigating Montana’s Parental Notification law, call: (406) 721-1646.
ABORTION CARE OPTIONS
At Blue Mountain Clinic we understand that every patient has individualized needs, and we strive to work with you to provide services that are right for you. Abortion services are no different- as each woman experiences abortion differently, a surgical or medical abortion may be more appropriate considering her circumstances, needs and comfort.
*SURGICAL OR “IN CLINIC” ABORTION:
- An outpatient, “in clinic” procedure that uses dilation and evacuation with aspiration. The doctor numbs the cervix, and gently opens it through dilation. Suction is then used to empty the uterus.
- While abortion is legal up to 22-24 weeks, at BMC we provide “in clinic” services for patients 5-16 weeks pregnant.
- We offer a mild sedative at patient’s request. Please note: You will need to have a driver after the procedure if you are administered the sedative.
- Worried you are more than 16 weeks? The friendly staff at BMC can help direct you to services that can assist you.
What is an Abortion Procedure like?
- Every woman experiences abortion differently- mentally, physically and spiritually.
- During the procedure, many women report to have experienced cramping similar to that of a heavy period – some report to have very little discomfort at all.
- After the procedure, women dress themselves and walk to an aftercare room where a nurse monitors the patient, answers any questions and gives instructions for self care in the coming weeks.
*MEDICAL OR MEDICATION ABORTION:
- A medication, or medical abortion, terminates an early pregnancy with medications instead of the “in clinic” (or surgical) procedure.
- RU 486 was approved by the FDA in 2000, and has been used to terminate early pregnancy in Europe since the early 1990s.
- RU 486 should NOT be confused with the morning after pill or emergency contraception. For more information on the morning after pill, click HERE.
- At BMC medical abortions can be administered to women up to 10 weeks since their LMP or last menstrual period.
How do Medical Abortions work?
- A medical abortion involves the use of two separate medications, Mifepristone and Misoprostol. The process is similar to a miscarriage.
- The first, Mifepristone, is taken at the clinic before 70 days from the last menstrual period. This drug blocks the production of progesterone, the hormone essential in maintaining a pregnancy.
- Within 6 to 72 hours after taking Mifepristone, clients take another drug called Misoprostol at home. Misoprostol is used to soften and open the cervix, and induce uterine contractions, thereby expelling the pregnancy.
- Most women will complete the abortion within 24 hours of using the second medication.
- Abortion using Mifepristone and Misoprostol is about 95% effective in ending a pregnancy. A woman must be willing to consent to a surgical completion if this method fails.
What you can expect during a Medical Abortion:
- Women who choose medical abortion should expect bleeding and cramping- sometimes for many hours.
- Bleeding and cramping are EXPECTED effects of the medications. Don’t be alarmed!
- While there are no systemic side effects of Mifepristone, some women report experiencing: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, chills and dizziness with Misoprostol.
- These side effects are usually resolved within 24 hours of using Misoprostol.
- There are no long term side effects of either medication.
Why do some Women Choose Medical Abortion? Is it still Abortion?
A medical abortion is still abortion, and is no less of an elective termination of pregnancy. Additionally, women need to be aware that the medications do not magically make the pregnancy disappear, and the process of having a miscarriage can be painful and intense.
Most women who choose medical abortion over surgical report did so for the following reasons:
- To avoid surgery
- To have more control over the process, and complete the procedure in the privacy of home. We recommend that all women choosing medical abortion have a supportive person who can remain with them throughout the process.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT YOUR VISIT
- Plan to be at clinic for an average of 3 hours on the day of your appointment.
- On the intake forms, we will ask you basic questions about your health and that of your family.
- Payment for abortion services is due in full at the time of your appointment.
The fees you pay on the day of the abortion include the following services:
- Options Counseling: Our one-on-one counseling sessions give you all the info you could ever want or need. It’s also an opportunity to discuss how you’re feeling about your decision to terminate and our trained counselors will tell you exactly what to expect while you’re at BMC. We hope to relieve any anxieties about the unknown and provide a safe space for our patients to give their informed consent.
- Ultrasound: Performed by a nurse to date the pregnancy, determine where the pregnancy is located and rule out ectopic pregnancy.
- Screening for bacterial vaginosis- an inbalance of yeast and bacteria.
- Lab work- to determine your blood type (if you have documentation you can bring to your appointment).
- Medications: Please do not consume alcohol, aspirin or unprescribed medications for 24 hours before your appointment.
- If you would like an IV conscious sedation during your procedure, you must bring a driver.
- Birth control information: covered in options counseling and always discussed with a Doc, we can set you up with whatever form of birth control best works for you.
- Follow up examination: Follow-ups are a great time to have a personal birth control consult with one of our fabulous physicians!
- 24 hour on-call service
ABORTION CARE FEES
**Please call the clinic for information regarding costs of abortion services.
Please do not delay an abortion for financial reasons. Call us ahead of time to discuss your situation. Blue Mountain Clinic has an Access Fund to assist women in need.
You may pay for your abortion procedure in the following ways:
- American Express
- Traveler’s Checks or money orders
**Personal checks are NOT accepted for abortion services. Full payment is expected at the time your appointment. Please do not delay an abortion because of cost.
Call BMC and talk with us, we are here to help you.
^ Back to Top